Cartuxa Wine Tourism
Cartuxa Wine Tourism is based at Quinta de Valbom, 2km from the centre of the World Heritage city of Evora and just 200m from the Cartuxa Monastery from which it takes its name. The visitor centre is in the old refectory of the former retreat of the Jesuit Brothers who taught at Evora University in the 16th and 17th centuries. When the Jesuits were expelled in 1759 by order of Prime Minister Pombal, the property was taken over by the State, and by 1776 it was recorded as operating a significant wine press, taking grapes from across the region. Adega Cartuxa was purchased by the Eugenio de Almeida family in the 19th century, undergoing a number of extensions and improvements over the years, taking care to preserve its rich architectural and historic integrity.
Adega Cartuxa – The old cellars at Quinta de Valbom are nowadays used to age the wines produced by the Eugénio de Almeida Foundation.
The success of its winemaking venture enables the Foundation to fund its charitable activities in the region.
Request your reservation and await confirmation